Nutrition & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Dr Joanna McMillan shares this great after school snack for ravenous children or a healthy alternative to a cafe style muffins for adults.
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup wholewheat stoneground flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1 tsp sea salt
1⁄2 cup Logicane (low GI sugar)
1 egg, beaten with fork
2/3 cup natural yoghurt
2 tb Australian extra virgin olive oil
rind of 1⁄2 orange, finely grated
1⁄2 small pineapple, finely diced
1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, roughly chopped
1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. In separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients before adding to the dry mix. Combine well. Add a splash of milk if too dry (this will depend on the consistency of the yoghurt).
3. Gently mix through the fruit
4. Spoon into muffin tin, adding a few pieces of pineapple on top
5. Bake in preheated oven at 180c for 30 minutes.
5. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before turning out. Place onto wire rack to cool.
NUTRITION Per Muffin
PER SERVE: Energy: 1177kJ, Protein: 7g, Total Fat: 10g, Sat Fat: 3g, Carb: 36g, Fibre: 5g
Disclaimer: This article provides general advice only. Readers should seek independent professional advice from their general practitioner or dietitian in relation to their own individual circumstances or condition before making any decisions based on the information in this article.